Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Epigenetic therapy

After learning about epigenetics, I was curious when the term "Epigenetic Therapy" came up. We learned about gene therapy earlier this year and I wanted to see if the two were related in any way. I learned a lot of information about epigenetic therapy through the short video that we watched. However, I wanted to know more specifics. In addition, I wanted to know if scientists had done more research. Basically, epigenetic therapy helps to prevent from killing the cell. Instead, it will try to change the directions of the cancer cells rather than completely killing it. The video described a trial that was done for epigenetic therapy. When patients were treated with this therapy, about half of them went into remission(Tyson 2007).

After becoming intrigued with this information, I decided to look up to see how epigenetic therapy has been used to help people with cancer. In fact, it was found that this type of therapy helps fight against several blood cancers! Scientists used "OTX015, a member of a new class of investigational epigenetic therapies that block the activity of bromodomain and extraterminal(BET)-Bromodomain proteins" (Boltz 2014). These proteins mentioned help determine if a gene will be turned on or off. As learned in the video, the proteins attach to epigenetic flags on the genome. Any abnormal positions of the flags can be a sign of cancer and the positioning "can inappropriately turn genes on or off, helping drive these cancers" (Boltz 2014). The OTX015 us used to inhibit the proteins, and currently a study is being undergone to determine how much a OTX015 should be give to a patient and when. This is taken orally by patients "with hematologic malignancies"(Boltz 2014).

In terms of results, scientists have found that many lymphoma and leukemia patients are responding very well to this type of therapy. Scientists had 42 patients in their latest clinical trial, with half battling lymphoma and leukemia while the other half battled other hematologic malignancies. With each group, scientists gave patients different doses as well as giving them the medication on different schedules. Many participants were very successful when using the therapy.

Overall, I learned a lot about how epigenetic therapy is being used in the real world. An additional question that I have is if there is any additional research going on about other cancers? Given the success of this clinical trial, I am sure that it would benefit so many other patients suffering through different types of cancers.



Boltz, K. (2014, April 22). Epigenetic therapy clinically active against several blood cancers. Retrieved March 26, 2015, from http://www.oncologynurseadvisor.com/epigenetic-therapy-clinically-active-against-several-blood-cancers/article/343509/

Epigenetics [Motion picture]. (2007). PBS.


1 comment:

  1. I was diagnose April 17,2015 and find out I'm HIV positive.I was scared because there is no cure for HIV/AIDS but today some people still don't believe that there is cure for HIV, it can only be cured through Africans root and herbs,and our doctor's here in USA few of them know about the African herbal medicine can cure Hiv but they chooses to hide it from us just to make a sales of medical expertise. I did a research online finding way to get rid of my disease,I saw a comment about a herbal doctor on internet Name Dr itua ,who has cured several disease with his powerful herbal medicine, I contacted him on whats-app, chat with him explain my self to him.He said he can cure hiv perfectly well , he gave me his request which i send to him. within 5 days he sent me the herbal medicine through ups courier delivering service And told me how to take the medicine for 2 weeks to get cured,I did for 2 weeks, within this 7 days i notice a very big change in my health and i new some thing great has happened then i went to confirm my result after finishing the herbal medicine for two weeks it was absolutely negative.The doctor who new i was hiv positive was asking me how come i am negative, what did it took to get cure and were did i get this medicine from and how did i get rid of it I told him every thing about the herbal medicine that cure me. imagine doctor telling me not to let anyone know about it,I wasn't shock though i knew they know about the herbal cure but chose to hide it in other to make sales on medicals expertise,if you are HIV positive Or other disease such
    Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease.contact Dr Itua for any kind of herbal product and remedies through Email Or Website.. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete