Sunday, September 14, 2014

Most Anticipated Topic: Viruses

A topic that I am really excited to learn about in Biology is viruses. It seems that there are many viruses that are breaking out all over the world. I would like to learn about what specifically causes viruses as well as potential solutions to solve these epidemics. I would also like to learn about how scientists go about finding a cure.Because they have the potential to affect all of us, we need to learn more about viruses.

I know a decent amount of information on viruses based on what I have learned in previous years. Viruses can only survive and replicate within host cells. Viruses have genetic information, which they inject into the host cell. They basically take over the machinery of a cell and uses it to produce more of that virus. They are having a large impact on the world today, and I think that it is important to know about this information before it can really hurt us.



In this course, we will not have a lot of time to look into current events. However, if there is time, I would like to learn about specific viruses. Recently, an Ebola epidemic has broken out all over the world. It is a very concerning virus, as Ebola has no known treatment. US citizens have contracted the virus while overseas, making it a potential threat at home. Another virus that has hit is a respiratory virus that is affecting kids in about ten states. Called Enterovirus D68, scientists believe that it will be spread around the country, especially with schools starting up. I read the article Is an Unusual Virus Spreading in the Midwest?, and learned a lot of information involving certain types of viruses. Specifically, I learned that there are more than 100 viruses classified as Enteroviruses(Fleur, 2014). They spread by contact to others that have already contracted the virus. Children have a greater probability of contracting the virus due to a weaker immune system(Fleur, 2014). EV- D68 can cause extreme problems in the respiratory system, which is a concern to scientists(Fleur, 2014). What I think is interesting with this virus is that the symptoms are those of a common cold, making it hard to detect(Fleur, 2014). I hope to learn more about the specifics of these virus, and what scientists have to do to find a cure for these viruses.





Reference Citation:

Freur, N. (2014, September 11). Is an Unusual Virus Spreading in the Midwest? Retrieved September 14, 2014.Website: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-an-unusual-virus-spreading-in-the-midwest/

5 comments:

  1. One thing i found very interesting about your post is that scientists believe the Enterovirus D68 will spread across the country especially with kids going back to school. Considering the EV- D68 has symptoms similar to a common flu, I am wondering if the "cold" going around our own school is related to the virus. Ever since we came back to school, more people have increasingly been sick. If it is the EV-D68 or something related to it, it would be easily spreadable as it spreads with contact. Although the possibility is unlikely that it is this virus, i think we need to view this as a warning and keep our school as germ free as possible (more sanitizing is necessary around this school). I also think more scientists need to focus on finding a cure for viruses as they can infect anyone and everyone.
    -Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wrote my blog post on viruses too, because I find them so interesting and they are so relevant today with the ebola breakout! I think the thing that really strikes my curiosity about viruses is the whole living vs nonliving debate. I had always assumed a virus was a living thing, simply because it has the ability to function and inject cells. However, once we started doing research for the virus paper we wrote in class I really began to question how viruses should be classified. How can you classify a thing that can has the characteristics of life, but needs a host cell to reproduce and provide it with energy?? I can certainly see why virus classification is such a hot, controversial topic in the science world and I can't wait to see where it goes in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post very interesting because viruses tend to be a very controversial topic in both the science world in terms of defining whether they are dead or alive and in the media considering how they affect people. A prime example of how they are displayed in the media is the enterovirus. There is a large risk of the virus spreading through the entire U.S. through contact. This shows the strength of viruses and how their spread has become so easy, which I'm assuming is through evolution over the years because this is a beneficial trait for their survival. You also mention the ebola virus in your post and how there is no treatment. In an article from Sciencedaily.com, a team of researchers from the University of Virginia "highlighted the need for a deeper understanding of the molecular biology of the virus that could be critical in the development of vaccines or antiviral drugs" to treat the virus (Protein Secrets Ebola, 2014). They discovered that the virus barely resembles the β-grasp protein found in ubiquitin, which could be the result of convergent evolution. Other than that insight, they said that the virus;s structure is unique in the world of RNA viruses. In the future, I would love to see how the Ebola virus's structure affects how scientists plan to develop a treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree viruses are very interesting. We will do some study of them, but not a great deal. I am, however, obsessed with emerging viral epidemics. Outbreaks like Ebola, or this new strain of enterovirus fascinate me. Where did they come from? Why do they suddenly disappear? There is much we don't know but much has recently been written about them. Check out "Spillover". Scary stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnose April 17,2015 and find out I'm HIV positive.I was scared because there is no cure for HIV/AIDS but today some people still don't believe that there is cure for HIV, it can only be cured through Africans root and herbs,and our doctor's here in USA few of them know about the African herbal medicine can cure Hiv but they chooses to hide it from us just to make a sales of medical expertise. I did a research online finding way to get rid of my disease,I saw a comment about a herbal doctor on internet Name Dr itua ,who has cured several disease with his powerful herbal medicine, I contacted him on whats-app, chat with him explain my self to him.He said he can cure hiv perfectly well , he gave me his request which i send to him. within 5 days he sent me the herbal medicine through ups courier delivering service And told me how to take the medicine for 2 weeks to get cured,I did for 2 weeks, within this 7 days i notice a very big change in my health and i new some thing great has happened then i went to confirm my result after finishing the herbal medicine for two weeks it was absolutely negative.The doctor who new i was hiv positive was asking me how come i am negative, what did it took to get cure and were did i get this medicine from and how did i get rid of it I told him every thing about the herbal medicine that cure me. imagine doctor telling me not to let anyone know about it,I wasn't shock though i knew they know about the herbal cure but chose to hide it in other to make sales on medicals expertise,if you are HIV positive Or other disease such
    Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease.contact Dr Itua for any kind of herbal product and remedies through Email Or Website.. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete